A paddler's paradise
Esperanza Sound, Nootka Sound, and Nuchatlitz - Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Explore the wilderness by kayak. This area's protected lagoons and inlets provide safe paddling for novice kayakers as well as the more challenging outside coasts of Catala and Nootka Islands and Tatchu Point
Great camping can be found on the many islets of Nuchatlitz Park.
Self-guided kayaking tours
Kayak Rentals: We use ocean touring single and double Seaward & Current Designs kayaks. Day and week kayak rental rates are available.
- $50/day singles
- $280/week singles
- $80/day doubles
- $400/week doubles
All kayak rentals include:
- Personal flotation devices (PFDs)
- Spare paddles
- Spray skirts
- Tow rope
- Paddle floats
Stuff to bring
You are paddling in a remote area so you should consider bringing the following:
- There is no cell-phone coverage so please bring a VHF radio for weather & safety.
- A compass and charts are good to have if your GPS packs it in. Mirror signalling and flares are good safety equipment too.
- You will need to bring water containers. Fill up in Zeballos - we have excellent deep-well water!
- Don't forget tarps for unloading and for rain and dew protection.
- Fishing gear is a good idea! We recommend Buzz Bombs and slow-troll lures. You can buy fishing licences online at Cedars Inn.
- Bring rope and carabiniers to hang your food out of reach of bears. Don't forget: A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear!
- And, of course, cameras for all the whales and sea otters!
Kids, kayaks & the wilderness
A kayaking holiday gives families a wonderful opportunity to get together in a wilderness setting. To avoid accidents and keep everyone happy, we offer these tips:
- In cold, damp weather, smaller people become hypothermic faster. Be sure to bring waterproof gear and a few changes of warm clothes. Bring lots of snacks to keep energy levels up.
- Younger children have short attention spans and may not enjoy long crossings; you might be better off with a base camp and short paddles.
Kayak shuttle via water taxi
Zeballos Expeditions provides water taxi service from Zeballos on the north central west coast of Vancouver Island to outlying areas including Nuchatlitz Park, Tahsis, Port Eliza, Friendly Cove, and Louie Bay.
Our vessel, Nootka Express, carries up to eight passengers, kayaks and gear. Rates start at $400 for a one-way drop-off at Rosa Island. The trip to Nuchatlitz Park takes approximately one hour depending on weather and sea conditions.